Hey there  Raul.
Yes, you can pair the device without enabling VoiceOver. I had a
deaf-blind client in another state once who had to get their equipment
set up and I was able to talk a sighted hearing person through the
process without enabling VoiceOver. When VoiceOver was enabled, after
successfully pairing, the display behaved as it should.

HTH,
Scott