I don't just carry around for the hell of it. And yes, I spend most of my
waking hours reading while doing other things (like working on this computer).
I also maintain a library of works I like to reread. This also means that if my
internet connection dies, I won't have to worry about how to get that next
book.

One suggestion for the NLS, use bit torrent. it will allow a far faster
download speed. Also, since it is open source, you can tailor it to feed only
US clients. This will also allow the NLS to decentralize some of its server
operations (so that IF the primary site goes down, the others will still be
live).

Anyway, the technology is getting good enough that any one person can have
enough storage space to contain the entire BARD file holdings (about 12 TV or
so). SO, it is not inconceivable that several copies of the entire index can be
located in private institutions (local libraries for example).

proposed torrent client would require an authentication certificate (like the
VR stream or the Braille Sense) in order to log onto the torrent swarm. THis
would limit the users to authorized clients only. That same torrent can also
copy (in real time) the database that NLS uses to index their materials. This
would allow local libraries to have their own local copy. Also, with local
volunteer readers, new works could be brought online a lot faster and
distributed to all nodes in short order.

Seems complicated? not really. In fact, twitter does this very thing.

Anyway, that can be how to get around a government shutdown of the NLS and
still allow access to the materials.

-eric