Just curious, but why do you want to convert the file to a different format?
Most media players for computers can handle m4a files if they're DRM-free, and
the voice memos that iOS makes certainly are avoid of DRM. Most portable media
players can also handle these types of files.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't converting a file from one
format to another degrade its quality?

Thanks,
Ari