Hi Simon,

"discombobulated", really? *smile*
I consider myself bilingual after 24 years of living in Canada, but that one
I had to look up:

discombobulate
disconcert or confuse (someone).
"he is looking a little pained and discombobulated"

The above from Google. Anyhow, if you mean that the salutation of your
message, e.g. "Hello John" ends up at the bottom of the message then this
means that after you dictate it you must somehow touch the screen or put
focus back to the top of the email field.

As Ron suggested, try the 2-finger double tap to start and stop dictation. I
find I have better results if I dictate in shorter segments. I belive you
can speak as long as 30 seconds, but that is rather a lot of text and
learning how to dictate properly with punctuation and so on does require
practice and I find I often have to just think about what I want to say and
how I want to say it for a moment. If you then make sure focus is at the top
of the screen and start with "Hello John comma new paragraph" then either do
a 2-finger double tap to stop or, if you know what exactly you want to say
you can continue, it should work just fine. I also never send a message
before making sure Dictation hasn't messed up since sometimes it just seems
to get certain words wrong.

Good luck,