From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 12:38 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: no wifi on iPhone but other devices are fine

Hi Anthony,

Sorry if I disagree, but cleaning your house or taking care of non-existing
children does not solve WiFi issues. I think you really can't generalize
this the way you do.

Reggie has a real and I mean "real" issue with her iPhone not connecting to
her WiFi and if your iPhone did that I am sure you would not decide to clean
your house in the hope it would fix the WiFi. I am saying this because I
talked to Reggie on the phone because the issue intriqued me and I was
hoping I could help her resolve it.

I heard Voiceover talking on her iPhone while we were talking on Facetime
Audio on her iPad which, by the way, connected happily to her WiFi.
I started out by getting her to remove all apps from her app switcher and
then to reboot the phone. This did not help.
The interesting thing is that if Reggie pulled up the control centre (she is
using a 4S with iOS 7.03, she can double tap WiFi and Bluetooth and it says
for both item that they are On.
However, if she then goes into Settings, Bluetooth, it says Bluetooth is
off. If she goes to Settings, WiFi, it says WiFi is Off and on top of that
it says that the On/Off button is dimmed.
Next I asked Reggie to go to General, Reset and to double tap on Reset
Network Settings.
She did that and, by the way, Reggie seems to be a rather competent iPhone
user, and after the phone rebooted the problem was still there.
This left a factory reboot.
I asked Reggie to hook the iPhone up to her computer. We did an encrypted
backup and then started the restore process.
Once it was going I had to leave her with it since I had to get back to
work, but Reggie ended up finishing a factory restore and set up her phone
as a new device. I told her to try that first since she can restore from her
backup any time and I wanted to avoid a problem coming back because of a
corrupt backup.
Reggie later texted me that she completed the factory restore and the issue
was still there, she is not only unable to as much as turn on her WiFi let
along connect to a network, but even Bluetooth will not turn on.
In my book this is clearly a Hardwear issue and I believe that Reggie is
fortunately still covered by Apple Care and in any case plans to upgrade to
a 5S soon. However, it also is an example where a user has donew everything
possible to solve the issue and where the issue seems to be clearly a
Hardwear defect.

I haven't heard yet from Reggie as she was trying to line up a ride to an
Apple Store to see if they would replace her phone, but hopefully that was
the case. I consider myself to be somebody who knows what he is talking
about most of the time, and if this was my iPhone 4S I would certainly be on
the horn with Apple trying to get a replacement and I doubt washing her
floors would have fixed the problem *smile*