This problem can also happen if you're not using a USB 2.0 port, as anything less than 2.0 does not have the power requirements to charge and keep the phone alive while on the port.

Having said that, you should make sure you're not plugging the phone into a USB hub, powered or not, as USB hubs don't generally have the power needs to charge the phone, so they advise using a USB 2.0, or 3.0 port directly on your computer, or use the USB charger that came with the phone and plug it into a wall outlet to charge.

Since you're trying to back-up or sync with your computer, the last option of a wall outlet doesn't apply to you, but plugging into a lesser USB port, or a USB hub does apply.

I'm not exactly sure how you can devise whether you're USB port is 2.0 or not, unless you have the original manual that came with your computer, or possibly there's a tool out there that will tell you what you have.

I can't readily remember if BellArc Advisor gives you this kind of information, but as it's a free program, it may be worth running to make sure.

Just do a Google search for Belarc advisor download, and the first or second hit will be the download page for the tool

It's 100% accessible, and easy to use with no special set up needed.

Good luck.

Victor Gouveia
Vice-President
Training Coordinator