From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:29 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Announcing caller ID

Todd,

In an ideal world, Apple and Microsoft would have braille translation available
with or without a screen reader.

Sadly, they don't right now.

I suspect until they both hear from enough braille users requesting that they
add that as part of the universal design for accessibility, people who are
deaf-blind are going to have to deal with screen readers in order to get
braille access.

I just did a test with my braille display and iPhone and muted the speech and
turned the ringer off.

The caller ID showed up very nicely on the braille display, and with a few
keystrokes I was on the accept button and could answer the phone with no sound
coming from the phone.

If I remember correctly, that was one of your original points.

I and I'm sure others may be willing to write to apple accessibility and
request that they make it possible to use braille without having VoiceOver
running. They seem the most likely company to me to maybe eventually make that
happen.

Richard

"Common sense is in spite of, not as the result of education." - Victor Hugo

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 18, 2014, at 8:55 AM, todd patkus <tpat...@shellworld.net