From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 4:54 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: KNFB Reader App

If this were true then the accessibility products we had in the 70's and
80's would have kept products like VoiceOver and the iPhone from being
developed.

Also, there are hundreds of thousands of apps in the App Store and quite a
few OCR solutions. Just because a product exists to satisfy a desire doesn't
mean other products won't also be developed to meet the same need. We see
this with main stream products all of the time.

I agree we should work to make mainstream products accessible, but sometimes
a blind user has needs or feature requests that don't make sense to a
sighted user. A product developed with the blind in mind may also prove the
viability of the technology and the market. Would we have VoiceOver and an
accessible iPhone if so called ghetto products for the blind had not already
demonstrated the fact that a market existed and the technology was available
for smart phones to be used by the blind.

I'm not a fan of the term "blind ghetto". I wouldn't have been employed
since the 80's if it weren't for these so called blind ghetto products.
I'm not sure I'd be employed now without JAWS and the ability to use the
applications my colleagues use to do their jobs. These products have given
me independence and not held me back as the term ghetto implies.

On 07/08/2014 04:42 AM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:
> Hi, i think it is sad, almost tragic that we once again need a
> reinvention of the wheel in this case the KNFB reader to be satisfied with
the results we get. This can, in the worst scenario send a signal to
developers of main stream apps that they need not make the effort to make
their apps accessible, the blindies have their own special apps that they
use so why bother, and once again we'll be directed to the situation that we
said we didn't want when the IPhone first became accessible. Yes there's a
choice and all that and people choose what ever tool fits the task and all
the rest, but some day there won't be this choice because we repeatedly send
signals to the developers that their effort ain't gonna satisfy us and that
the only things that will are the "blind ghetto" solutions. (note the
quotes) That's my rant for today, now off my soap box and put on a flame
protective suit because i sure gonna need it after this.
> /Krister
>
>> 7 jul 2014 kl. 20:15 skrev AppleGourmet <sen...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> About five years ago, one of my patients had purchased the KNFB Reader
with the Nokia phone for about $1250. He was really thrilled with his
purchase and thought it was great value. He has  been using it for the past
five years and it's been working flawlessly! The results of the OCR have to
be seen to be believed! I was shocked to hear that this app now sells for
$99!! It's a steal!  It's an outstanding application! Comparing it with
other available OCR apps is like comparing chalk with cheese.

>> --
>> The following information is important for all members of the viphone
list. All new members to the this list are moderated by default. If you have
any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel
that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. The archives for
this list can be searched at

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail