On May 17, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Thomas Narten wrote:

But last-minute changes, even changes _during_ the presentation are the nature of the beast. I agree with Dave.

Not for the kinds of meetings we are talking about. We are talking about WG meetings that are scheduled weeks out in advance. Things shouldn't be in serious flux moments before the call... There may be exceptions, but in general charts can be done a few days out in advance of a meeting.

A meeting schedule does not ensure presentation stability and technology allows presentations to reflect recent discussions. Many will clarify where discussions have advanced, and some progress occurs just prior to meetings. As with their own names, many tend to forget to state which side is being projected as well. Streaming static images that are being projected seems practical, especially when the device connected to the projector is standardized.

Playing back an audio recording is not the normal case. We should design for the normal case.

Actually, I've done this fairly often. It has advantages to following a meeting in real-time (one can pause, rewind, etc.) in cases where one is not expecting to actually contribute/speak during the meeting.

One might wonder whether a voice-mail feature could serve as a type of remote question queue. Someone might listen to messages privately to avoid repeated questions. A dynamic phone list could allow callbacks when further elaboration of a question is desired. The same callback mechanism might support audio for remote presentations as well.

Stay focused on enhancing remote participation with IETF meetings. There are many suitable solutions for interim meetings where participants are all remote.

-Doug