On 3/29/2012 12:50 PM, Tony Hansen wrote:
There are several separable things that are currently commonly conflated via the
back end channel: taking notes/minutes, keeping a running indication of what
slide is currently being presented, having real-time transcription of what was
said, a forum for side-comments, and as a channel for remote participants.
Having *all* of them on a single jabber channel is messy and makes it much
harder for remote participants to actually participate -- even someone watching
the jabber log diligently for comments to be channeled can get confused as to
which things need channeling and which things are the many other things going on
that channel.

One WG I was involved with this week effectively used the etherpad minutes taker
for doing the notes/minutes and indicating who was talking. This removed all of
that stuff from the jabber stream and allowed the jabber to be a more effective
channel mechanism.

Meetecho combines jabber with presentation slides. jabber can be selectively displayed. (Etherpad remains separate.)

This conveniently permits a single display to contain the information streams of slides and remote postings. (however it does effectively require all slides be uploaded to a single, controlling machine.)

For my small working group (repute) with an agenda that was not tightly packed and with a small number of remote participants, it was convenient to keep jabber showing and to have an open room 'chat' among /all/ participants. That is, we did not need the time or organization discipline that comes with tight, slide-based presentations and/or many active participants at the microphone.

For the more typical case that does need more session management, we are used to having someone speak for a jabber participant. What the Meetecho arrangement allows is, instead, keeping jabber off the screen, except when it's a jabber poster's turn, and then display their text rather than having someone running up and down at the mic channeling them.

There are more conveniences to the jabber/slide integration, since the next slide displayed has its number and title injected into jabber, thereby synchronizing the jabber record nicely.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking