At 13:22 28-03-2012, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
We actually tried doing that with a second projector in several working
groups for a period of a few years.  It worked reasonably well for a
while, but we ultimately gave up, partly because the experiment was
getting too burdensome(*) but also because it wasn't causing people to
pay very much more attention to the jabber room than before.

I left out the burdensome points you mentioned. I don't think there is a solution to all of them. I avoided mentioning a second projector for cost and also as it's one more thing to focus on. There is also the question of the jabber room conversation not being a side meeting within the session.

Note that displaying Jabber only "during discussions" may not help,
because the majority of meeting time should be discussions, not
presentations, and I've found that the slides containing the most useful
content are ones used in aiding technical discussions.

To add to what you said, the Jabber display also depends on the size of the session. Someone remote asks whether he counts. As the answer can end up being problematic, I won't comment on that.

As a strawman's guideline, I'll suggest 13 minutes for Jabber projection in a one hour session. If a slide is useful to aiding the technical discussion, it takes precedence. It's possible to get a sense of slide timing from http://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/soc/2012-03-28.html