On Mar 30, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Dean Willis wrote:

> From today's meeting, taking to list.
>
> Remote participation for users connecting via the PSTN though gateways into a
> VoIP conference platform raises some issues.
>
> One of these is "registration" . There are hacks like PINs that can be made
> to work.
>
> But to me, the biggest problem is that it is just really hard to make it
> work, especially for participants on the fringe of the PSTN. Echo
> cancellation may be impossible to provide without exceeding the 150ms latency
> interaction/interrupt threshold determined in Brian Rosen's research.
>
> One doesn't necessarily need "broadband" to use IP. I've talked quite
> successfully between participants with EDGE mobile connections. But going
> over a long path of telephone network to a PSTN gateway, thence over IP to a
> conference platform is a recipe for disaster.
>
> I therefore propose that our remote participation system neither require nor
> support dial-in telephone numbers. This assumption can greatly simplify the
> system, reduce operating expense, and reduce the probability of systemic
> marginal failure where the system "works" but not well enough to actually use.
>
> Some argue that this would unfairly exclude people who can't get Internet
> connections, but I counter that it's certainly less of an exclusion than
> requiring them to physically attend the meeting, and it's far more unfair to
> make an IETF meeting fail for these who are actually using the Internet to
> participate in it.

I disagree that providing service to people connecting from PSTN or through a
gateway from the "wrong" software (like Skype) needs have any effect on the
service provided for the other remote participants. People might be excluded
because they are behind a corporate firewall or because the particular solution
we chose does not run on their favorite distribution of Linux or z/OS.

I also disagree with Brian's claim that 150ms is a limit for the kind of
discussion that takes place in IETF working groups. It does apply to phone
calls, but WG discussion tends not to be interrupt-driven. People politely wait
their turn at the mike, with the chairs signaling the use of the "floor". Not
having the ability to connect from work (when the IETF is in  a suitable time
zone) means having to take the day off or relying on cellular internet that
seems to have higher latency anyways.

So I think some ability to connect via PSTN (and Skype) should be a requirement.