On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM, John Leslie <j...@jlc.net> wrote:
> (directed to <vmeet> only:)
>
> Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:
>> On 3/29/12 2:50 AM, George, Wes wrote:
>>> ... On Behalf Of Melinda Shore

>>> I made a few changes in the wiki page...
>>
>> This is a very helpful page. I made a few tweaks, but not much was needed.
>
>   It's a very helpful page for remote-attendance. :^)
>
>   It's, alas, not up to the task for remote _participation_. :^(
>
>   "Typically 5-15 seconds" isn't good enough. (I'm not arguing whether
> _one_ second is even "good enough".)
>
>   The delay needs to be known. Adjusting to a five-second delay is one
> thing; adjusting to a 30-second delay (which is too-often seen) is quite
> another. Adjusting to an unknown delay is no longer "participation".
> When asking whether the remote audio is OK, _measure_ the delay.
>
>   The part about one person being both jabber-scribe and minute-taker
> needs to be "Don't do this!"

First, please note that some WG are "jabber-active" and others are
not. In other words, some consistently have many participants on
jabber, and others consistently do not.

I really like to take minutes on jabber, as (at least for the
jabber-active WG). Two pro's :

- the jabber logs are saved, so even if my laptop dies, the log does not.
- In a jabber active WG, the inevitable ellipses will be filled in by
other participants.

Two con's :

- If the local WAN goes down, so does the jabber log. (And, this does happen.)
- It can drown out the other jabber chat by other participants.

I have suggested a number of times that there be 2 jabber chats for
each WG meeting, one for discussions, one for
minute taking, but without any traction so far.

Regards
Marshall