Coming back to part of this and dropping the tools list...

--On Friday, April 08, 2016 15:42 +0200 Meetecho IETF support
<i...@meetecho.com> wrote:

>> Sometimes doing a refresh loses the room information and it
>> prompts for a room name. Huh? And the prompts look really
>> messed up on my screen, with the button on top of the input
>> textbox.
>
> By design, you should be redirected to the same login page you
> used to join in the first place, and it should remember
> whatever you put in there automatically. If that's not always
> working as expected, it's a bug ad we'll have to look into
> that. You're probably ending up in a login page that actually
> forgot part of that info (e.g., the WG you were following),
> which uses a different layout.
>
>> After typing in the registration number, there is a
>> background load of your saved picture, AND a very annoying
>> expansion of the area above the name to display the saved
>> picture or placeholder picture. The reason it's annoying is
>> that when you're trying to log in (or RE-login quickly to
>> avoid missing more of the meeting), the check boxes are
>> moving around the screen right when you're trying to click
>> them, you're chasing them around the screen and losing time
>> waiting for them to settle down.

> Ack, we'll need to fix that. The avatar feature is a brand new
> one we just added for the meeting here in BA, so there are
> indeed improvements that are needed on the user experience
> there.

>> Relaunching the window from agenda starts all over from the
>> very beginning login screen. If you previously clicked
>> "remember my login info", it fills in the name and
>> registration info. But you still need to re-click the buttons
>> acknowledging the note well. I also click "remember my login
>> info" again "just in case". It seems like this scenario could
>> be streamlined better when you're re-logging in to an
>> on-going session and you're trying to miss as little as
>> possible.

> Makes sense, and I guessthe "Note well" part is particularly
> annoying as it prevents you to join if unchecked. If you
> checked it once, you did confirm you read it, and we should
> remember that as well.

This may be aspirational, i.e., a target rather than something I
expect you to be able to do all of, all at once, but...

My expectation in a more perfect world that [still] requires
IETF registration and sign-on using a registration number is
that

(1) You would consult the IAOC and, if needed, IETF Counsel, but
remember that, if one has registered for the IETF meeting, one
has already seen and acknowledged the Note Well.  If doing so
the week of the event is needed or if someone is logging in as
an observer (in which case they may be claiming to be
not-Participants and not Contributing anyway), see below.
Otherwise, the checkbox is just clutter and unnecessary
bureaucracy.

(2) I'm a lot more concerned with participants and efficiency
for them than I am above [passive] observers.  I'm willing to
have a "remember me" checkbox for observers but, if some of the
following inconveniences them, that seems a minor price to pay.
An observer who is sufficiently inconvenienced can always sign
up, especially as long as the remote participant registration
fee is zero or nominal.

(3) During the course of an IETF week (or other set of related
meetings within a short period), I expect to register in the
sense of giving you my name, registration number, assurances
that I've seen and understood the Note Well, preference for
participant versus observer, picture or avatar, etd., a maximum
of one time.  "Remember me for the duration" or "Remember me
until..." should probably be the default with "don't remember, I
want to be bothered every time to add some marginal privacy"
available as an option.  A "settings" mechanism for changing any
of those things should be available, but it shouldn't be
intrusive.   I expect that single registration to work even if I
switch machines.  If you have to give me a special token or
unique "log in again, maybe from the different place" URL that
is fine, but the idea should be for me to register once and
thereafter only go through a quick re-validation or
re-authentication process, not be forced to supply all of the
prior information.

(4) In particular, while I hope restarting sessions will become
much more rare, there should be no circumstances in which a
restart within a given WG meeting requires reentering
registration information, much less reconfirming
participant/observer status, acknowledging the Note Well, being
asked to supply a picture, etc.

(5) As Dave Crocker has explained in much more detail than my
original comment about the Jabber aspect of the situation did,
precipitous shutting down of a session in a way that loses
information is not acceptable even if it means rethinking what
"session" means.  Jabber is not the only issue.  "Participant"
is defined in many different ways in the IETF.  If I sign a WG
meeting blue sheet, I don't get to un-sign it by leaving the
room before the WG meeting is over.  If you are adopting a
variation on the blue sheet definition (which, you will recall,
was used to justify the registration requirement), the
participant list should show all of those who connected to a
given WG, probably with an indication of whether they are
on-line or not and possibly whether they are local or remote,
not just the Jabber definition of "connected right now".   Maybe
there is also a difference between someone explicitly signing
off and simply disappearing (possibly as a result of a dropped
connection rather than participant action).  Probably that list
shouldn't abruptly disappear when the meeting ends either --
another matter you should sort out with the IESG (and maybe
IAOC).

(6) I'm one of the people who believes that we lost something
when overhead projector foils -- which could be easily and
quickly marked up during a talk or discussion-- gave way to
PowerPoint (TM; grumble).  No matter how much we campaign for
presentation materials being uploaded well in advance of
sessions, I hope there will always be the possibility of the
kind of last-minute changes that come from last night's hall
conversation or this morning's breakfast (those conversations
are among the things that actually make f2f meetings
worthwhile), so removing the slides from the screen the instant
the projector goes off may not be optimal and shifting
_exclusively_ to "show from local PDF copy of what was uploaded
a week ago" may not be either.

best,
    john