Alpha VMS 7.3-1, DEC C 6.5-001, MMK 3.9-6, MMS 3.4-3.
Just a default build.
I can't upgrade VMS (I need appletalk to work), and the prebuilt
binaries are for vms 7.3-2 up.
I want a copy of perl to massage VMS/RMS data files into a format
suitable for load into mysql.
First I need to build it, then I need to write scripts for each file.

Fairly consistent failure building attrs with 5.8.8,.4,.7:
         Making attrs (dynamic)
Writing Descrip.MMS for attrs
Perl 5.00503 required--this is only version 5.00404, stopped at
../../lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../../lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
%SYSTEM-F-NOLOGNAM, no logical name match
%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X000001BC occurred when updating target
[--.LIB].EXISTS
%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X1C14803C occurred when updating target DYNEXT

While I'm asking, here's the script I wrote for one file (no binary
data, so I could ftp this one to fedora & perl it there). Criticism
welcome - my first perl. (file contains a 16 character key, padded with
spaces on vms, and a largeish varchar field (up to 2k) containing '\r'
and printable characters).

open(INFILE, "/var/lib/mysql/Stationery/Style.sql") or die("Can't open
input");
open(OUTFILE, ">/var/lib/mysql/Stationery/Style.imp") or die("Can't open
output");
while (<INFILE>) {
  $k = substr($_,0,16);
# print $k,"|\n";
  $k =~ s/\s+$//;
# print $k,"|\n";
  s/\s+$//;
  print OUTFILE '"',$k,'"',"\t",substr($_,16),"\n";
  break;
}

Thanks
Chris

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not necessarily
those of CCA Group.  The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of
this message is forbidden.  The contents of this message may be confidential
and/or privileged, copyright CCA Group and are intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  Whilst this message has
been scanned, CCA Group cannot guarantee that it is virus free or compatible
with your systems and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising
from its use. The recipient is advised to run their own anti-virus software. If
you receive this message in error please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] immediately,
destroy any copies and delete it from your computer systems.