Chris Sharman wrote:
Alpha VMS 7.3-1, DEC C 6.5-001, MMK 3.9-6, MMS 3.4-3.
Just a default build.
I can't upgrade VMS (I need appletalk to work), and the prebuilt binaries are for vms 7.3-2 up. I want a copy of perl to massage VMS/RMS data files into a format suitable for load into mysql.
First I need to build it, then I need to write scripts for each file.

Fairly consistent failure building attrs with 5.8.8,.4,.7:
         Making attrs (dynamic)
Writing Descrip.MMS for attrs
Perl 5.00503 required--this is only version 5.00404, stopped at ../../lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../../lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
%SYSTEM-F-NOLOGNAM, no logical name match
%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X000001BC occurred when updating target [--.LIB].EXISTS
%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X1C14803C occurred when updating target DYNEXT

Watch out for logical names like LIB and BIN that can cause Perl to malfunction. There is a DECC$DISABLE_TO_VMS_LOGNAME_TRANSLATION feature logical that can be set before doing the build that can prevent some of these translations.

You may also need to enable the DECC$DISABLE_POSIX_ROOT logical name to prevent some confusion.

If either of these make the build work for you, please post back here.

The GNV product incorrectly sets the BIN logical name in the system table, and other applications may set a LIB logical name.

I am not working on 5.8.8 myself as it does not have critical features that I need for some projects and customers, so I am trying to get blead up to speed for that.

While I'm asking, here's the script I wrote for one file (no binary data, so I could ftp this one to fedora & perl it there). Criticism welcome - my first perl. (file contains a 16 character key, padded with spaces on vms, and a largeish varchar field (up to 2k) containing '\r' and printable characters).

I can not help with that at the moment, but I would recommend looking at CPAN to see if there is a MYSQL data access module for Perl that has been ported to OpenVMS that you can add in to your Perl.

If there is one, and it has not been ported to OpenVMS, I would recommend posting back here and also letting the maintainer of the VMS port of Mysql know about that.

I do not have Mysql running or have any experience with it.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only