At 11:31 AM +0000 2/7/06, Chris Sharman wrote:
>Alpha VMS 7.3-1, DEC C 6.5-001, MMK 3.9-6, MMS 3.4-3.
>Just a default build.
>I can't upgrade VMS (I need appletalk to work), and the prebuilt
>binaries are for vms 7.3-2 up.

One of the ones I pointed you to yesterday was built on 7.2-1, as its
name implies:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware70/perl/perl-5_8_4-vmsaxp-7_2-1.zip

But that said, you should be able to build Perl in your environment:
I've done it many times on a system that fits the same description.

>I want a copy of perl to massage VMS/RMS data files into a format
>suitable for load into mysql.
>First I need to build it, then I need to write scripts for each file.
>
>Fairly consistent failure building attrs with 5.8.8,.4,.7:
>         Making attrs (dynamic)
>Writing Descrip.MMS for attrs
>Perl 5.00503 required--this is only version 5.00404, stopped at
>../../lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 3.

Somehow it's confused about what version of Perl it's building.  I
would make sure that you have not unpacked the source archive into a
directory that already has an old Perl or parts of it, and after that
check symbols, logical names, and command tables to see why it's
pointing to an old Perl while trying to build a new one.

>BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../../lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 3.
>BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>%SYSTEM-F-NOLOGNAM, no logical name match
>%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X000001BC occurred when updating target
>[--.LIB].EXISTS
>%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X1C14803C occurred when updating target DYNEXT
>
>While I'm asking, here's the script I wrote for one file (no binary
>data, so I could ftp this one to fedora & perl it there). Criticism
>welcome - my first perl. (file contains a 16 character key, padded with
>spaces on vms, and a largeish varchar field (up to 2k) containing '\r'
>and printable characters).
>
>open(INFILE, "/var/lib/mysql/Stationery/Style.sql") or die("Can't open
>input");
>open(OUTFILE, ">/var/lib/mysql/Stationery/Style.imp") or die("Can't open
>output");
>while (<INFILE>) {

I would think you would want a chomp call here if there are newlines
in the input file.

>  $k = substr($_,0,16);
># print $k,"|\n";
>  $k =~ s/\s+$//;
># print $k,"|\n";
>  s/\s+$//;
>  print OUTFILE '"',$k,'"',"\t",substr($_,16),"\n";
>  break;
>}
>
>Thanks
>Chris