From: Craig A. Berry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> At 2:25 PM +0000 3/12/06, Paul Marquess wrote:
> >From: John E. Malmberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >> The test scripts:
> >>
> >> ext/Compress/Zlib/t/05examples.t and
> >> ext/Compress/IO/Zlib/t/010examples.t are both failing on OpenVMS
> >> apparently because they can not find the file:
> >> auto/Compress/Raw/Zlib/autosplit.ix.
> >>
> >> The only place I can find a like file is in
> >> auto/Compress/ZLIB/autosplit.ix.
> >
> >Hmmm, not sure what is going on there.
>
> I'm not seeing any Compress::Zlib failures in blead on VMS, so John's
> set-up must be different from mine or the build directory needs some
> clean-up.

It could be another ripple for the monster C::Zlib patch I posted last week
that moved lots of files around and anyone (myself included) that didn't
have their rsync setup correctly ended up with a mish-mash of the before and
after C::Z directory tree.

> > > ext/Compress/IO/Zlib/t/050interop-gzip.t requires either a shell like
> >> bash or use of Perl as a shell for the I/O redirection to work.
> >
> >Is any I/O redirection available on OpenVMS or is it just piping that
> >doesn't work?
> >
> >For example, would this work?
> >
> >    system "gzip -c infile >outfile";
>
> Not unless the gzip program had been built with its own redirection
> (like Perl has).  To get redirection from the shell you have to use
> the pipe command:
>
> $ pipe show time > foo.tmp
> $ type foo.tmp
>   12-MAR-2006 12:05:04

Ugh!

Would it be better then to just disable the tests that run an external gzip
on VMS?

Paul