At 7:54 PM +0100 8/3/06, Martin J. Evans wrote:

> The
>actual job I'm looking at is getting an ODBC driver we did not write
>working behind DBD:::ODBC. I have few details at present and was just
>trying to get back up to speed. However, the experience we get from this
>exercise will undoubtedly lead to a release of the odbc-odbc bridge on
>OpenVMS Itanium.

One thing to be careful about when gluing together a bunch of
different libraries written in C from different sources is to use the
same compiler options everywhere.  That's true on most platforms but
there are some VMS-specific wrinkles to worry about, such as floating
point format (different defaults on Alpha and Itanium),
case-preserved linker symbols (or not), name mangling options for
names longer than 32 characters.

>Talking of which:
>
>Our previous release of the odbc-odbc bridge (to access remote ODBC
>drivers from OpenVMS) linked directly to DBD::ODBC without an ODBC
>driver manager. I seem to remember you posted some changes to the
>perhaps poorly named unixODBC driver manager for OpenVMS which made it
>work on OpenVMS and I presume Nick included them (I'll check tomorrow).
>Could I just check with you whether you got unixODBC to build and work
>on OpenVMS?

Yes, I did get unixODBC working, and Nick did apply a patch or two
from me.  I think that was a couple of years ago and I have not kept
up-to-date with recent versions, so I'm not really sure where things
stand now.  Some of the things I worked on, like a dlopen()
replacement, are probably not necessary now as the CRTL has steadily
added that and a number of other things.  The best place to keep up
on what's been added when is in the version dependency tables in
Appendix A of the CRTL reference:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/5763/5763pro_072.html

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]