Hi
At Nicholas' suggestion I have been looking into why Module::Build is failing test on VMS. My observations are

 - if you run the MB basic.t in isolation it works.
 - as part of the full make test it doesn't get off the ground.

My observation is that it doesn't return from the following line
(I have put tracing in)
  my $mb = Module::Build->new( module_name => $dist->name );

I had a theory that it was caused by the relative path in @INC but I have made that absolute to no avail
$VAR1 = [
          'DISK$XXXX:[SCRATCH.PERL595.lib.Module.Build.t.lib]',
          'DISK$XXXX:[SCRATCH.PERL595.lib]',
          '.',
          '[.lib.Module.Build.t.bundled]'
        ];

Two more general questions (I am new to the world of testing perl).
Can I get the tests to bung out more info (i.e. there STDOUT and STDERR).
I have tried
$Test::Harness::verbose =1 ;

Can I run a subset of the make test - it takes me 40 mins to get to the point of failure (reminds me of batch Fortran jobs at university).