----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Ogden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: Something like vncMonitor?

> Hi
>
> This "would" be a could idea, only problem then is bandwidth
> and CPU resources will be too large to support (for example)
> more than 8 or 10 screens at a time (even on a fast CPU and network)
> for it to be usable, if the server pc could give a scaled down version
> rather than the client itself, then it might start making sense,
> otherwise somebody had better start thinking up some good ideas.

This need not be too much of a problem. The system could "round robin" the
refresh request for each screen so that for ten screens each would be
refreshed ten times less often. Of course you would probably get more data
with each request so the network traffic would be higher.

I do have a version of VncMonitor which implements a "security camera" type
feature where the displayed screen automatically switched to the next system
every n seconds when the VncMonitor window doesn't have focus. This is being
used in several schools and seems to work quite well.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk