Here is an xstartup file that works (and has worked from RH7.0-7.3)

#!/bin/sh
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
exec gnome-session #<----- NOTE exec here NOT &

This file lives in the $HOME/.vnc directory (along with the passwd file
and the log and pid files).
This is pretty simple. My wife uses VNC from her windoze2K machine to
read mail using
Mozilla on my RH 7.3 system (its safer).  The above is the xstartup file
from her .vnc directory.

Hope this helps.

Lincoln