I have always used:

exec gnome-session &

Note the &.  Not sure if this is your problem or not, but give it a
try.  If this does not work, try running it from the single terminal VNC
starts for you.  It will give you much better error messages.

Can you do a startx on the box as the user you are trying to use?  Are
you running X on the console?  If so, try stoping X and running a VCN
server then.  Try running a vnc server as another user.

Greg