Somehow I have the impression you are helped with a setup like on
http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/ or even better
http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp

The first (xf4vnc) gives a M$Windows like vncserver on linux: you can take
over the console. It uses the vncpassword for root but this can be
customized.

The second one creates a great multiple vncserver solution for several users
at any time: vncservers are started (and stopped) on the fly: as users
connect (and stop the viewer). This does not use any vnc passwords (by
default) but it uses the unix login as on the console.

Both setups don't use the ~/.vnc/xstartup but use the systems default way to
start the windowmanager. They can co-exist with the default vnc setup.

CBee