VNC always gets a bad rap, we had an auditor tell us the same thing. VNC is
just like a knife; if you are careful and are always aware of what you are
doing - you don't get cut. If you get reckless and sloppy you're going to
get hurt. If you are connecting via a VPN to machines that are isolated from
the outside world, except for a website perhaps, then you should be fine. Of
course without knowing your specific configuration I can't vouch for more
than that. Trusting anything to be 100% secure is dangerous IMHO; better
doubtful and humble than prideful then ashamed.

My 0.02,
Floyd Russell