I've seen this happen with DNS problems based on the VPN.  It depends on
what your DNS server is set to at the time.  To check this, try using the
ip address of the machine that you want to connect to instead of the host
name.  If it works, then it's the way your VPN is handling the DNS.  And
for that issue, you'd have to consult your docs. :)

Ben