Have you checked the inetd log? Might need to turn it on or such.

> > If you use the setup as on
> > http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/l> inux.asp, the
> > ports for inetd usage are from 5950 upwards to
> > avoid collisions with plain vncserver sessions.
>
> I prefer to use 5900.  There is no 'plain vncserver' to conflict with,
> and by using 5900, the viewer does not have to specify the
> port/session
> number.  Ie, I can use "hostname" instead of "hostname:50".

Nice idea.
What $DISPLAY value do you get? (just a qurious question ;-)

> > 1.2.6 is out (however, that should not be the problem here)
>
> I will load that in the next couple days and see if it resolves the
> problem.

You started (if I remember well) with a problem that only happens when using
the AT&T vncviewer. I know that has less compression methods for rfb
communication. Is it possible that the handshake between server and viewer
just takes a (little/lot) longer? Try specifying the compression protocol at
both ends.

CBee