Keep track on the memory in use. It can also be a paging/swapping problem.
Have `top` running in a terminal to see the swap usage. It's possible you're
at the end of physical memory and the system starts swapping.

> > For your patched Xvnc, you did not have to patch it. There
> > are more options to start an app at login. For example create
> > a dedicated user and start the app from the ~/.xstartup file
> > (this depends on the used window manager).
>
> What I am really trying to avoid is the xdm login screen.  Our
> application authenticates the user.  I have not been able to
> find a way
> to start an app without (1) pre-starting all sessions, or (2)
> using xdm
> with the redundant (in our case) login.

An idea is to have inetd call a script that starts the app and then changes
into Xvnc. This has some problems to tackle:
The app can only start after the Xvnc is started. Because it needs the
display to be avialable (and it needs to know which $DISPLAY it gets...)
Xvnc must be started as last command by means of an 'exec'-call: `exec
Xvnc`. For various reasons, including getting the open file pointers.

Now I think of it, I recal kdm or gdm (I don't know which one) to have an
option to do an automatic login. Have a look at them to start your app.

> Can you provide any more information on how to do this?

Yes, but not better than the above.

CBee