Goddammit.  Stupid list policy.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jordan Share [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 12:07 PM
To: Bill Cassady; Jordan Share
Cc: John Swanson; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Automatic Encryption

???

Dude, if you're a unix/linux guy, and you don't know about Cygwin, do
yourself a favor and check it out.  You get a big chunk of the gnu
utilities.  At this point, the X server can even run in a sort of "rootless"
mode (before it was a lot more like VNC, oddly enough. :)  With cygwin, you
can get bash on windows.  Granted, there's not a whole lot of command line
stuff, but I use it all the time for rsyncing, etc.

If you develop, I believe you get all of the GNU toolchain for building
(gcc, make, etc.).  So, if an app isn't already ported to cygwin, you can
port it yourself.

> It doesn't meet my need for safety to connect a naked Win box to th
> Internet anyway. I have a 486 Linux box for that. I can ssh to
> it, and from there reach Linux boxes on th internal LAN -- and from
> one of those VNC to th Win boxes...
>
> Very simple.
>
> Easier and better for me than try for an ssh server/client on Windows...

Well, if you don't /have/ a spare box, or don't know how to run linux, then
you probably have one of those "Cable/DSL routers".  In that case, being
able to forward just port 22 to sshd on windows, and thereby encrypt your
data (as well as get access to all the other ports)

> > Putty does kick a lot of ass tho. :)
>
> Yep. It's what makes Windows *useable* for me.
> Wish it would just run from the DOS prompt tho. ;)

You definitely should check out cygwin.