----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim McGarry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 2:45 PM
Subject: Reverse Tunnelling through SSH

> I'm using PuTTY to connect to a vncserver (Solaris/OpenSSH) started with
> the -localhost option, works a treat.
>
> I've had no problems using vncconnect to connect directly to a listening
> vncviewer running on the PC, but what I'd really like to do is make this
> reverse connection through a Tunnel provided by SSH.

I'm not sure what advantage you would have with this setup?

> I've tried various combinations of local and remote forwarding with ports
> 5900,5800,5500 but have had no success at all.

It would be a little easier if you specified the "various combinations" you
have tried.

> I'd be greatful if anyone could shed some light on why this may not work.
>

> Tim McGarry

I have two machines, a Win98 laptop "laptop" running PuTTY and a Redhat 7.3
machine "kenny" running VNC.

In PuTTY's configuration setup a forwarding port from kenny:5901 to the
laptop.  Then forward a port from laptop:5500 to kenny.  The first is setup
as a "local" forward, and the second is a "remote" forward.  Your forwarded
ports should look like:

L5901    kenny:5901
R5500    laptop:5500

Once this is setup fire off the VNC connection in the SSH terminal by doing
"vncconnect -display :1 localhost".

If that doesn't work please send the PuTTY log in a response to the list and
we can help troubleshoot.

--
William Hooper

Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams scoff at primitives who
beat drums to drive away evil spirits.