Lox Thomson said:
> I've been lurking on this list in the hopes that someone would answer my
> questions without me having to ask.  They appear to me to be questions
> that everyone would eventually have.
>
> OS: Redhat Linux 8.0
>
> I have configured my VNC server to load as a user, not as root.  That
> took me a little while, but I've now accomplished that.  The VNC server
> is running perfectly and it accepts my connections.  Why I would like to
> do is be able to configure:
>
> 1)  The VNC resolution.  I have played with the /etc/X11/XF86Config file
> but that does not do the trick.

Because VNC doesn't use the XF86Config file.  Please read the
documentation, paying attention to the "-geometry" section.

http://www.realvnc.com/man/vncserver.html

> 2)  I want root applications to appear in display:1 if I am in a VNC
> session as a user, authenticate as root, and then expect the program to
> load in my window.   Take for example, managing users.  From within
> Gnome as a user, you would click, Hat->System Settings->Users and
> Groups.  It would then prompt you for root password, which I would
> provide.  Once it accepts that, it would open the application dialog box
> in the current window.  But in my case, that is, in VNC, it will open it
> in display:0 and I want it to open it in display:1.  See my predicament?

Sounds a lot like a confused WM.  What happens if you are not logged into
the console?  Gnome has a history of issues being logged into multiple
displays at once (see the archives).

--
William Hooper