Since this appears to be a font problem, please can you let me know
which fonts VNC needs access to on Solaris, and I'll try only specifying
them.

I never saw a response to this. So I thought I'd kick in my $0.02.

I am running VNC4.0 on Solaris 8 (2/04), via inetd. My inetd.conf
line is thus:
vnc-1152x864x24 stream tcp nowait root /space/tools/bin/Xvnc Xvnc
-inetd -query localhost -once -geometry 1152x864 -depth 24
-SecurityTypes=None -desktop="baltar-Sol8" -fp tcp/baltar:7100

This all starts with a fontpatherror. IF it is just one of the
fontsdirectories
in your fontpath, it should not be a problem. However, if this leaves
no fonts
left (all fontdirectories are wrong) then I can imagine there are
problems.

Indeed. CDE will puke if it doesn't have it's system interface fonts.

Since your Xvnc call does not specify any fontpath, the windowmanager
has to
come with one. If they don't, there are no fonts and the
windowmanager might
have a problem here...

The -fp option is the font path. In fact, since it's called with -fp, it won't use any compiled in fonts, which I've found will usually at least get you going. So my first suggestion is to remove the '-fp tcp/baltar:7100' from the command inetd.conf line.

Tried with and without - neither give me any joy. However, having spent time chasing dt & X setup scripts, I've now found which fonts paths caused the errors and removed them.

However, I'm still getting the Warning about "Null child found in argument list to unmanage" and then "dtlogin: received signal 11", which is where CDE dies I'm guessing!

Any further thoughts on where to go from here??

Cheers,

Alasdair

Alasdair Ferro                       SpiraTech Ltd,
Product Conformance Engineer         Carrington Business Park,
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        Manchester,
Work:   +44 (0)161 776 4582          M31 4ZU,  U.K.
                                    http://www.spiratech.com

may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
immediately. Whilst this email has been swept for viruses, you
should carry out your own virus check before opening any
attachment. SpiraTech Ltd accepts no liability for any loss or
damage which may be caused by software viruses or interception
or interruption of this email.