> Remaining question; why does the following fail?
>
> >winvnc4 -register PortNumber=5977

It doesn't.  What makes you think it's not working for you?

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Here's the sequence; the values are arbitrary.

HKLM shows the value to be 5980
HKU shows the value to be 5970 (not that it should matter)

winvnc4 -register PortNumber=5977
winvnc4 -start
vncconfig -service (or rt-click : Options...)

Shows the value to still be 5980, not 5977.
I expected it to have changed.

I've assumed that the result of setting the parm via commandline
when registering should result in that parm being set to the new
value when looking at the config after a -start. A check of the
registry shows the setting was not changed either. I'd assumed it
should, or at least the config setting of the running service would
have changed, so I described what I see as either a failure or that
I've done something incorrectly.

In other words,
winvnc4 -register PortNumber=5977
and
winvnc4 -register
appear to product the same result -- the original value in the
registry is used either way. Should I not have expected to
see the setting changed after the -start ?

Dave