Dave,

Specifying parameters on the command-line when starting winvnc4.exe doesn't
cause them to be written to the registry, it just causes that copy of
winvnc4.exe to use them instead of the corresponding value from the
configuration in the registry.  vncconfig.exe uses the same mechanism, so if
you specify different command-lines to the two programs (or even to two
separate copies of vncconfig.exe) you'll get different results.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd