Peter,

The most likely cause is that there is a Service-Mode server running on the
system, using port 5900, so that the User-Mode server can't use that port.
Service-Mode in VNC Free Edition doesn't currently work with Windows Vista,
so you'll want to either upgrade to VNC Enterprise/Personal Edition, or
unregister the Service-Mode server and stick with User-Mode for now.

Cheers,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd