IME it's not so much that the literal digits 9, 1, 1 are pulse dialed,
but some switches are configured so that a bunch of repeated on/off
hook sequences will be treated as an emergency call. I think the idea
is, if someone is severely incapacitated, their attempts to pick up
the phone will be noticed and acted upon.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology