Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Now <i>this</i> is appalling:

   According to [1]ABCNews.com,

     Nothing gets Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton more
     impassioned than talking about the impending expiration of the
     10-year-old assault weapons ban.

     "Nobody has an inalienable right to run around with a machine gun,"
     he said. "I'm sorry, that's insanity!" . . .

   As I mentioned [2]below, the assault weapons ban is not about machine
   guns. Check out [3]the text (secs. 110101-110106, which repeatedly
   refers to "semiautomatic" weapons.

   Now surely a police chief knows the difference between a machine gun
   and a semiautomatic, even if [4]the Chicago Sun-Times editorialist
   might not. Did ABC misquote him? (I just called LAPD Media Relations
   and left a message asking whether that might have happened.) Does the
   chief just have no idea what the statute he's publicly praising really
   does? Did he know that the statute was about non-machine-guns, but
   said machine gun in any event, either because he somehow misspoke
   (though it's an odd slip to make) or for some other reason?

   Thanks to reader William Steinberg for the pointer.