Posted by Orin Kerr:
Swiping Doorknobs and the Fourth Amendment:

   [1]Talkleft links to an interesting story about some Fourth Amendment
   cases currently winding their way through the lower courts. The
   question is whether the police need a warrant to swipe a person's home
   doorknob with a drug-detecting cloth; the police then test the cloth
   to see if contains microscopic particles of a controlled substance.
   (You may have seen this at airports when they inspect bags for traces
   of explosives by swabbing them with a special cloth and then analyzing
   the cloth.) If traces of illegal drugs are found, the police can then
   use this evidence as support for probable cuase to search the house.
   The theory, apparently, is that drug residue found on a house doornob
   increases the likelihood that there are drugs inside the home, and
   thus can help establish probable cause.
       The question is, does swiping the doorknob and analyzing it for
   controlled substances violate the Fourth Amendment absent a warrant?
   It's a difficult question, I think. On one hand, pulling the particles
   off a doorknob by swiping it with a special cloth constitutes a Fourth
   Amendment "seizure." The doorknob is the homeowner's property, and
   pulling particles from that property seizes those particles. The
   subsequent analysis is not a "search" under [2]United States v.
   Jacobsen, but the initial removal is a seizure. On the other hand, the
   residue on a doorknob may be seen as analogous to the garbage bags
   left out on the street in [3]California v. Greenwood. I suppose I
   would want to know whether the swab only pulls away particles that are
   routinely picked up when people use a doorknob to open a door, or
   whether it has some special properties that allow the cloth to pull
   away particles that a normal door-opening would not. Either way, very
   interesting case.