Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Is Evolution a Threat to Religious Belief?
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_06_12-2005_06_18.shtml#1118942329

   Michael Shermer -- with whose views I often agree -- posts at
   [1]Huffington Post about the evolutionism/creationism debates; and in
   the process he says two things that strike me as worth considering
   together:

     The primary reason we are experiencing this peculiarly American
     phenomenon of evolution denial (the doppelganger of Holocaust
     denial), is that a small but vocal minority of religious
     fundamentalists misread the theory of evolution as a challenge to
     their deeply held religious convictions.

   OK, sounds plausible on its own (though Iâll say some more about it
   later) -- the theory of evolution doesnât speak to whether God exists
   or what he has done, but simply aims to explain how things likely
   happened, and if you believe that God made them happen that way,
   thatâs something the theory just doesnât discuss. But hereâs another
   quote from earlier in the piece (emphasis added):

     In March of 2001 the Gallup News Service reported the results of
     their survey that found 45 percent of Americans agree with the
     statement âGod created human beings pretty much in their present
     form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so,â while 37
     percent preferred a blended belief that âHuman beings have
     developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life,
     but God guided this process,â and a paltry 12 percent accepted the
     standard scientific theory that âHuman beings have developed over
     millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no
     part in this process.â

   (For more on this poll, see [2]here.)

   Well, if âthe standard scientific theoryâ is that âGod had no partâ in
   the process of evolution -- not just that human beings developed in a
   particular way, but that God didnât guide this -- then it seems to me
   that the theory of evolution is a challenge to many peopleâs deeply
   held religious convictions. And thatâs so not just as to the
   young-earthers who believe the Earth was created several thousand
   years ago, but also to people who are willing to embrace the
   scientific evidence but see the guiding hand of God in the process.

   Whatâs more, how exactly do scientists come to the conclusion that
   âGod had no part in this processâ? Whatâs their proof? Thatâs the sort
   of thing that canât really be proved, it seems to me -- which makes it
   sound as if scientists, despite their protestations of requiring proof
   rather than faith, make assertions about God that they canât prove.

   And on top of that, if the standard scientific theory is that âGod had
   no part in this process,â then the opponents of evolution are right --
   the standard theory of evolution may not be taught in the schools. The
   Court has repeatedly said that the Establishment Clause bars both
   government endorsement and disapproval of religion. Teaching that God
   exists and teaching that God doesnât exist are both unconstitutional
   in government-run schools. Likewise, if teaching that God created
   humans is unconstitutional, so is teaching that God had no part in
   creating humans.

   Now hereâs what I think Mr. Shermer is driving at by saying that âGod
   had no part in this processâ is the standard scientific theory: The
   standard theory tries to explain how humans might have evolved without
   calling on God as an explanation. This isnât because scientists can
   prove that God doesnât exist in any logical or even empirical sense of
   âprove.â Nor is it because assuming that God had no part in the
   process is more consistent with the facts than assuming that he did
   have a part in the process; the God assumption is perfecty consistent
   with the facts. Nor is it even because in some abstract sense omitting
   God yields the simplest explanation; âGod did itâ (3 words!) is a much
   simpler explanation than the theory of evolution.

   Rather, looking for naturalistic causes is standard scientific
   operating procedure because it seems more likely to produce more
   useful results, and has in the past produced useful results. Science
   canât prove to us that there are no angels pushing planets around the
   sky; maybe they do push the planets around, though in extremely
   regular patterns. But if you look for a naturalistic explanation,
   youâre more likely to come up with useful, predictive explanations of
   the world than âthe angels are doing it.â

   In that sense, the theory may be described as âHuman beings have
   developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, and
   we can explain that without bringing in Godâs intervention.â Many
   scientists conclude that this explanation makes it more plausible that
   God had no part in the process. Others may conclude that if thereâs no
   evidence supporting the existence of some influence, itâs
   methodologically more useful to assume that the influence doesnât
   exist until some supporting evidence is found. Still others may use
   âGod had no part in this processâ as shorthand for âGod had no
   observable part in this process.â

   Nonetheless, the phrasing that the poll used -- and the one that Mr.
   Shermer endorsed as the scientifically proper theory -- didnât include
   these subtleties. It essentially asked people to decide whether, given
   that they thought that humans evolved from less advanced life forms,
   âGod guided this processâ (which could include the most indirect sort
   of guidance, perhaps guidance that yields results identical to the
   naturalistically predicted results, or guidance in the form of having
   created the world that yielded this process) or âGod had no partâ --
   not an indirect part, but no part at all -- âin this process.â Small
   wonder that many religious Americans, even those who are quite happy
   to accept evolution, preferred the approach thatâs consistent with the
   theory of evolution but that let them acknowledge their religious
   faith. And small reason, it seems to me, to complain. (The âcreated in
   the last 10,000 yearsâ group, on the other hand, is definitely reason
   to complain.)

   In fact, science is deeply subversive of religious belief in what one
   might call âdescriptive religionâ (religious claims that purport to
   describe what exists, what happened, what is happening, or what will
   happen, as opposed to purporting to make normative assertions about
   whatâs morally right and morally wrong). This is not because science
   in some logical sense disproves such assertions. Rather, the
   scientific mindset, for better or worse, leads people to find
   descriptive religious claims less plausible.

   The more science explains processes that were once thought to be
   divinely or supernaturally operated (the movement of the planets, the
   spread of disease), the more likely it is, I think, that people will
   be skeptical of other claims of divine or supernaturally operated
   processes; thatâs not a logical mandate, but it is a psychological
   effect. The more science trains people to be skeptical about
   descriptive claims in the absence of evidence that leads us to endorse
   those claims, the more people will question things that they are asked
   to take on faith. There are certainly scientists who are religious
   (even in the âdescriptive religionâ sense); it is possible to have a
   scientific worldview but believe in descriptive religion. But the
   spread of scientific habits and principles makes it less likely that
   people will accept descriptive religion.

   Yet scientific popularizers and educators have to deal with the fact
   that in our society, many people are still religious, and still accept
   descriptive religion (at least ostensibly). If the popularizers and
   educators describe science as taking no stand on the existence or
   influence of God, and as leaving such questions to others, I think
   theyâll have great success; and, whether they want to or not, they
   will indeed further undermine descriptive religion. But if they
   insist, in my view unnecessarily, that the standard scientific theory
   does take a stand that God is not influencing the world -- and that
   accepting evolution as the best scientific hypothesis while seeing
   Godâs hand in its operation is an inferior conclusion that is worthy
   of scientific criticism -- then they will encounter much more
   resistance.

   I have turned on comments; please, keep them polite, substantive,
   on-topic, and nonobvious.