Hi All.

With all the learned bloviating on this topic, I'm surprised
no one has yet addressed the critical issue with secrecy and invention.
It's not the patent office; in fact, a VERY large percentage
of patents grant and you can find abundant examples of prior
art in the field Mark Goldes is prospecting in. The few occasions
that patents aren't granted are either political ( the debacle
concerning Robert Park and Randy Mills chemical patent comes
to mind ) or just simple ignorance of how the patent office works
( inventor doesn't understand it, and hires bad counsel ).
It's worth reminding everyone on the first point, that Randy
received his "free energy" patent for the water heater, and
was rejected on the chemical patent, for which he was willing
to provide actual samples for testing. You may have whatever
opinion of Randy you like, but rejecting that chemical patent on the
eve of granting was a remarkably cheap shot.

No, the real issue is much simpler, and can be seen in every
institution where the command and control of the organization
is from top to bottom, WITHOUT FEEDBACK. For it is the most
difficult thing in the world to do an experiment which invalidates
a few years of work, and accept those results. It's almost
impossible when substantial sums have been invested. There
is just no business incentive to do this, and every incentive to
shut up and let the boat continue on it's way. I can
point to no better example of this than the rather
spectacular failings of the current administration, which
by their own admission prizes loyalty and message control
above all else. When there is never heard a discouraging word,
the skies are not cloudy right up to the inevitable T-storm
which floods the ranch, drowns all the cattle, and strikes
dead the rancher.

It's a paradox of sorts that to be
an effective inventor one must combine an insane sense
of optimism ( 1000 failures and yet persisting ) with
an equally insane sense of pessimism ( for only you can
prove those early attempts WERE failures ). It's another
paradox that if you are public about those 1000 failures,
and get success on 1001, no one will believe you. And conversely,
folks will line up for miles to get behind someone who
never admits to making a mistake, despite abundant real evidence
to the contrary...

Does any of this apply to Mr. Goldes venture? Beats me. I'm only making
a general comment about secrecy and invention, so please don't
confuse the above with a critique. He does seem willing to admit to past mistakes,
which is a good sign IMHO. But he's also not the inventor.
His trolling of the list has given me a few chuckles, and I feel he should be indulged
in this.
I wonder if in exchange Mark would do us the courtesy of announcing on the
list when his applications actually publish? ( NOT to be confused with
when his patents grant ) At that point some discussion can occur
which is more in line with the vortex list.

K.