Wise remarks from Hoyt. Jed is a programmer, and in his logical world one
can reverse engineer code, in fact there are programs that will give one a
good start. An added note about one of Hoyt's examples:
<nsip>

> Rolls Royce bought the design of an automatic transmission from an
> american company.
> They took the drawings, improved the tolerances and polished the metal,
> but, alas, it just
> didn't work.

The transmission was, I think, the Oldsmobile hydra-glide, which used fluid
coupling,   in which rough surfaces of closely engaging plates couple to the
fluid. Rolls Royce enngineers routinely super polished all the moving parts
to extend life. Unfortunately, that was not the thing to do with the
transmission design.

Mike Carrell