Edmund Storms writes:

> > Eventually they were talking about boiling away the oceans of earth ten
> > time over with the ZPE in a few [square] centimeters of space. That sounds
> > ridiculous to me.
>
> Of course it is ridiculous. This is like saying at all the energy in the oceans,
> if extracted, would run the world for decades.

That is not a bit ridiculous. There is plenty of mass in the ocean. Scott's point (and mine too) is that if ZPE in a few cubic centimeters of empty space can produce enough energy to evaporate the oceans of earth several times over, and if mass and energy are equivalent, then somehow or other we have to hide such a tremendous mass (or something similar to mass) in empty space that it would bend light and be apparent in many other ways.

Perhaps ZPE is real after all, but my point is that if so, it rewrites the laws that conserve mass-energy. Those laws have been rewritten once already, to include mass, so that is not unthinkable.