Hi Thomas,

> From: thomas malloy
>
> Steven Johnson posted;
>
> >A recent comment by the esteemed Mr. Malloy got me to thinking...
> >
> >The problem I always have when I hear catchy little phrases like:
> >"We Evangelicals see W's [Bush's] election as the will of G-d", or
> >"It is Allah's will"
>
> The scenario which is being played out was prophecized 4000 years
> ago, ergo it is the will of G-d. The Islamists believe that Allah has
> blessed their enterprise too. The fact that Allah isn't god has no
> bearing on their behavior, they believe that he is god, and they will
> do what the Quran tells them to do.

So, you know for an absolute fact that Allah isn't God?

> >the face of the "Will of God", this inevitably invites others to
> >take control over their powerless lives. All the better if these
> >self-proclaimed leaders state they are on a first name basis with
> >God, or Allah.
>
> That's why men study the scriptures. The Islamists do the same
> with the Quran.

...and your point?

> >As human beings, most of us (if we're lucky) will be confronted with
> >events one is given the rare opportunity to question the underlying
> >Blueprints of Life - for which one in the past had always assumed
> >had been carved in stone.
>
> But you see it is carved in stone

I think Mel Brooks playing the role of Moses got it right when in a movie he
comes down from the mountain holding three tablets in his arm given to him
by God. "Behold!" Moses shouts to his people, "I give you..." and then one
of the three tablets slips out of his hands hits the ground shattering into
a thousand tiny little pieces. Moses, hesitates for a second and then holds
up the remaining two tablets "...I give you the ten commandments."

Anybody can have a bad day.

> >Regardless of whether one is an Atheist or not, I would hope most
> >individuals would be able to find deep down within themselves a
> >spark of divinity, or least the proxy of divinity.
>
> Have you ever heard of eschatology? Of the verses which were
> prophetic at the time they were written, 75% have come to pass. Does
> that suggest something about the other 25%? Further more, this war
> which is between
> us and Islam, was not my idea, but it was prophecized, and we are
> powerless to stop it.  The election of W, along with the controversy
> surrounding it, and the war were all predicted in the Bible Code.

It wasn't my idea either.

However, regarding the Bible Code, I suspect some may disagree with you on
that point.

> >As for electing Bush, I certainly didn't vote for him.
>
> Of course you didn't

Presumably meaning you did.

If so, I'm curious. Did you vote for "W" because you personally felt he was
the right man for the job or because it was the will of god?

Speaking of bible code: You might enjoy reading Carl Sagan's book "Contact".
The ending was particularly ingenious, IMHO. I think Mr. Sagan, struggled
most of his life trying to reconcile conflicting feelings he had about
religion versus science. I suspect the late Mr. Sagan had a religious side
which he kept meticulously hidden from public view. However, being the
scientist that he was I speculate that Sagan felt compelled to reconcile
these two areas in his life. I thought Sagan came up with one of the most
elegant ways I've ever read in a novel of a way to suggest how the Hand of
God might be carved into the structure of the universe. In Sagan's novel the
Hand of God isn't revealed till the last page of the book either, so you
gotta read it to the end.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com