After writing the previous post (see below) I
dimly remembered that this subject had been
dealt with before. Sure enough, when I searched
the escribe archives with the string:
   "Cluster Impact Fusion"
I found that Jones had raised it last
August with particular reference to the
Farnsworth fusor.

Interestingly enough I watched a British TV
documentary last night on Philo Farnsworth and
how Bell had nicked his patent - but back to
the fusor.

Unfortunately the fusor is a bit of a distraction
since it rather accentuates the compression
view of things.

There is another way of "seeing" what decreasing
Beta-atmosphere pressure (increasing pF) is doing
and it fulfills Max Born's requirement of being
crazy enough to be right. 8-)

Let us call Beta-atmosphere (B-a) pressure outside
a material Standard B-a Pressure (SBP)

At SBP the repulsion between two electrons,
between two negative charges, is the same as the
repulsion between two positive charges, two
protons. Outside a material the ambient B-a
pressure (ABP) is equal to the SBP.

However, as one enters into a ductile metal the
ABP in the pore space decreases (the pF increases).
This results in the repulsion between two electrons
INCREASING and the repulsion between two protons
REDUCING.

In other words the Coulomb barrier is increased for
electrons but reduced for protons. Any free protons
bouncing around in a high pF cavity within a metal
have a lower Coulomb barrier to climb than they
would outside a metal - which is why fusion takes
place more readily than one would expect from a
rigid theory of particle repulsion.

In effect the lowering of the ABP within a metal
increases the "temperature" of the electrons but
reduces the "temperature" of the protons.

In effect the "temperature" of the electrons/protons
is the distance in electrical pressure they are from
the ABP. As the ABP is lowered the "temperature" of
the electrons gets higher but that of the protons
gets lower.

COLD FUSION indeed, eh!  8-)

Now I am confident that this explanation must be
essentially on the right lines since it explains.
inter alia, why metals are both good conductors
and why they emit electrons with very little
provocation. The electrons are just itching to get
away from each other.

Cheers,

Frank Grimer