Now that I have managed to cast off the
shackles of a fixed repulsion force
between like charges, other pieces of
the jigsaw are slowly beginning to fall
into place.

One bit that has been bugging me for
years is the experimental observation
of excitons in the ambient Beta-atmosphere
cavity that forms in a semi-ductile metal
immediately prior to cup and cone tensile
failure.

Unfortunately I cannot locate this paper
but know it must have been published
something like 20 to 40 years ago - long
before that kind of stuff got put on the
Web. The very best I could do is to
produce a witness statement by my colleague
and co-author, Nigel Clayton, who also read
it.  8-)

Wikipedia describes excitons in these terms......

    A vivid picture of exciton formation is as
    follows: a photon enters a semiconductor,
    exciting an electron from the valence band
    into the conduction band. The missing electron
    in the valence band leaves a hole behind, of
    opposite electric charge, to which it is
    attracted by the Coulomb force

...... and at these early days of groping towards an
understanding of what is going on that is quite good
enough to convince me that we are dealing with electrons
which have an increased repulsive force between them.

In fact it makes me wonder if the so called "holes" are
not simply positrons for which the repulsive force has
been reduced to zero by the decrease in B-a pressure
within the cavity relative to the external standard
B-a pressure (SBA). In other words, is the drop in
B-a pressure leading to the separation of epos/materons
into excited electrons having twice the repulsion and
positrons having zero repulsion, say?

It also suggests that insulators might be the inverse of
conductors in that, whereas in conductors there is a slow
flow of super-repulsive electrons in one direction, in
insulators there is a slow flow of non-repulsive positrons
in the other.

After all, this is what happens at a higher scale of
things isn't it. In electrolysis we have negatively
charged bits heading off in one direction and positively
charged bits heading off in the other. Perhaps at this
level the asymmetry between the two flows is shown by
mass and not charge, eg, H2O.

Nature is manifestly hierarchical. It would hardly be
surprising if the lower hierarchies were systemically
similar to the higher.

Cheers,

Frank Grimer