At 01:55 pm 27/06/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>thomas malloy wrote:
>
>>That area of agreement a leftist notion called cultural relativism (the
>>idea that all cultures are all equally good) which is leading to cultural
>>suicide.
>
>That definition of cultural relativity is completely wrong, misleading and
>childish.

Etc.

The real problem seems to be in the meaning of the
word relativism as opposed to relativity. For example,

    Benedict XVI, however, has been critical of
    progressive Catholicism. In a homily delivered
    at a Mass before the cardinals began the conclave
    Monday, he warned against "relativism, which is
    letting oneself be 'swept along by every wind of
    teaching.' [It] looks like the only attitude
    [acceptable] to today's standards. We are moving
    toward a dictatorship of relativism, which does
    not recognize anything as for certain and which
    has as its highest goal one's own ego and one's
    own desires."

I wouldn't want to hoist you on your own petard because
I think your post was very interesting and well argued.

However. I think you need to get inside the minds of
people like Malloy and the Pope (and me for that matter)
and recognise that we understand the word "relativism"
in a different way than you might.  8-)

Cheers,

Frank Grimer