I think people in the CF field know and appreciate that two separate issues are important to the field. The first addresses whether the CF effect is real or not, and the second addresses whether commercially useful energy can be produced. It is clear that the effect is real, but it is not yet clear whether useful energy can be made. A few watts in a laboratory does not count when addressing the second issue, which is the thrust of the NG article. Most laboratory devices can not be scaled up in their present form. Until the effect can be produced near the kilowatt level on demand, the phenomenon can not be considered useful. Of course, this fact does not justify rejection of the claims as is common these days. I might add that the same criteria should be applied to hot fusion. In this case, the method is not useful unless excess power is in above megawatts because the size of the device is so large.

Ed