From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Edmund Storms
Sent: 06 September 2005 21:08
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: Global Warming - State of Fear

An interesting point.  This same point can be made about cyanide.  An
average person weighs about 80,000 gm.  It takes about 50 mg of NaCN to
kill an average person, which is only 0.0022 inches on the football
field.  Obviously, a person can not be harmed by such a small distance.
No wonder the average person has no understanding of the real world when
this kind of argument is used.

Ed

Terry Blanton wrote:

> Michael Crichton makes an interesting analogy in his book on Global
Warming:

> "Imagine the composition of the Earth's atmosphere as a football field.
Most of the atmosphere is nitrogen. So, starting from the goal line,
nitrogen takes you all the way to the 78 yard line. And most of what's left
is oxygen. Oxygen takes you to the 99 yard line. Most of what remains is the
inert gas argon. Argon brings you within 3 1/2 inches of the goal line.
That's pretty much the thickness of the chalk stripe. And how much of the
remaining three inches is carbon dioxide? One inch.

> "You are told carbon dioxide has increased in the last 50 years. Do you
know how much it has increased, on our football field? Three-eighths of an
inch -- less than the thickness of a pencil. Yet you are asked to believe
that this tiny change has driven the entire planet into a dangerous warming
pattern."