John Coviello writes:

> I think it is fair to
> ask Jed that the original PDF (unedited) version of the paper be published
> on his website.

Of course! No problem. I usually ask for the Word or WordPerfect version so
that I can easily pull out the Abstract for the indexing system, and so that I
can add a heading showing where the paper was originally published. (Obviously
I would not add the heading if the author did not want me to.) However, I can
now do that sort of thing with the ScanSoft "PDF Converter" program, so I no
longer need the Word versions.

Also, I have found that some Acrobat conversions cannot be read by all readers,
especially foreign readers who have old versions of Acrobat. I have to redo the
conversion, eliminating fancy formatting, obscure options, strange margin
settings that cause text to overlap and disappear, and foreign fonts such as
Cyrillic or the Japanese "degree" sign. Some PDF files are gigantic, and can
easily be reduced in size. One was ~100 MB and it reduced to ~1 MB when I
converted it again, with no visible changes. I think the text was bitmapped.

The Acrobat standard appears to be improving. I see fewer problems and
incompatibilities these days.

> The editing happens when a paper
> is from a foreign source and difficult to understand and Jed edits them to
> make them easier to read, with the author's permission of course.

Not just their permission! I require their assistance. For Japanese authors,
the original Japanese text is a big help.

> It is well past time to put up or give up regarding publishing your paper
> online.  Just send Jed the PDF version of your ICCF-10 paper today and give
> him permission to post it . . .

Please upload it and give me the URL. My e-mail is limited and it overflows.
When I know that many authors are planning to send in papers, I leave the
office system on, collecting e-mail every 10 minutes.

> This controversy can be solved very easily by just a few simple steps.

I do not think Swartz wants to solve this. He will not take "yes" for an
answer. I uploaded the titles of this ICCF10 papers as soon as he asked me too,
but he still complains about that. He wants to attract sympathy by portraying
himself as a martyr and victim of my brutal censorship. That tin-foil halo he
wears looks kind of beat up to me.