Edmund Storms wrote:

It also makes no sense for the government to overlook a terrorist plot because they would have no way of knowing the damage it would cause and which of them or their friends might be in harm's way.

Did you see the tape of Bush's non-reaction when he was informed that the twin towers had been hit?

It's been a long time and my recollections are hazy, but here's what I recall:

Bush was in an elementary school classroom, listening to a child read a story about ... goats, I think, but I'm no longer sure. A Man in Black tiptoed in and whispered the news in his ear, and Bush showed no apparent reaction, and gave no apparent instructions to the MIB, who tiptoed out again. 20 minutes later, Bush was still in the classroom, still listening to the story about goats, and he was informed by the MIB that the second tower had been hit. He continued to listen to the story about goats, and again gave no apparent instructions to the MIB, who again left the room, IIRC. Bush remained to the end of the story, at which point he applauded the child who had been reading IIRC, said a few words about education, and a minute or so after that he finally left the room and went on to deal with the business of the twin towers.

This would be less remarkable had a spokesman for the White House not asserted shortly after that Bush had reacted to the news of the first hit _immediately_ by contacting ... whoever, don't recall at this late date ... and ordering ... whatever ... and generally getting on the ball as soon as he heard the first tower had been hit, well before the second tower had been hit. The video tape, which could otherwise have been explained as Bush using the time to collect his thoughts and figure out WTF to do while simultaneously acting cool to avoid causing panic in the classroom full of children in which he found himself, takes on a different aspect when we factor in the apparent attempt at covering up his otherwise innocent-seeming behavior. And then we must wonder if his apparent lack of surprise -- which could really have been coolness, had a spokesman not taken the trouble to lie about it in order to cover it up -- may actually have been ... lack of surprise.

I don't buy conspiracy theories, as a rule, but after seeing that tape, along with the later commentary by the White House in which they "fled with no man pursuing", I really wondered.

Sorry, I no longer have the link to the site that had the video clip, and I've long since forgotten the exact words of the White House spokesman who seemed to want to cover it up. I think it was all on "www.whatreallyhappened" for quite a while, but I'm not sure. As far as I know the authenticity of the tape was never called into question.

But this sort of thing couldn't happen, could it? It's just too far out, too ridiculous. I mean, it never happened before in our history, did it?

Duh ... anybody here forgotten Pearl Harbor? You know, that other attack to which 9/11 has been compared?

Here's an old family story: Long long ago, Roosevelt (bless his heart -- the only one of the allies who gave a [EMAIL PROTECTED] about China) issued an ultimatum to Japan. An uncle of mine, who was very smart but slightly cracked and who would have fitted in perfectly on Vortex, called my father, who was also a close friend of his. He said to my dad, "Did you see the paper? Did you read what Roosevelt did?? Japan's got no choice -- they're going to hit us, within the next two weeks!" He wasn't clairvoyant, though; he told my dad that the thought Japan would hit us in the Phillipines, while they actually hit Hawaii. But his timing was dead-on: they bombed Pearl Harbor a week later. Now, the point of this story isn't that my uncle was brilliant, nor that he had inside information. He was smart, but he didn't have inside information, and I'm sure Roosevelt had folks on his staff who were just as smart as my Uncle Jack. THEREFORE ..... If Jack could figure it out, so could Roosevelt. In other words, Roosevelt, who was anything but dumb, must be assumed to have also known with a high degree of certainty that Japan was about to hit us. Forget the intercepted radio broadcast, the intelligence reports that weren't acted on -- just from first principles and a knowledge of their own actions in issuing the ultimatum, the White House _must_ have known the attack was coming, and must have known, to within a few days, when it would happen. But Roosevent didn't do anything to prepare, and the fleet was a flock of sitting ducks as a result ... the President knew the attack was coming, but he ignored it. (Speculating as to why he did that, is far beyond the scope of this post.)

Maybe the comparisons with Pearl Harbor are more apt than Bush would have us realize.